I am off to the Noordermarkt in Amsterdam this morning to get some delicious things for our bbq this weekend. This weekly organic farmers market is one of the gastronomic delights of Amsterdam! For food lovers travelling to Amsterdam, this is an experience that should not be missed.
The farmers market is located on the Noordermarkt, a delightful square nestled between the Westerstraat and the Prinsengracht in the heart of the very charming Jordaan quarter.
Specialist stalls carry an array of organic produced food: cheese, bread, vegetables, meat and flowers & plants of the season. There is a stall with the most delicious sausages, another stall has a stunning display of mushrooms and at another stall you can sample some delicious smoked mozzarella.
Over 30 stall holders arrive every Saturday before dawn to set up shop and they continue until 16:00. Around the market there are several nice cafes where can have a lovely cup of coffee.
Some historical background: the market has began in 1987 when Adri Vallentin, then owner of the popular café called Winkel on the Noordermarkt, has setup nine biological food stalls, hoping to draw more clients on Saturday morning to his café. Today is it is very popular market, small but lively, with an unique atmosphere.
The Noordermarkt is held every Saturday between 09:00 – 16:00. Enjoy!
ABOUTThe Style Files is Danielle de Lange’s daily weblog about design and (life) style. More>>
SPONSORSINTERESTED IN ADVERTISING?
- COLORFUL DOG BEDS FROM AUSTRALIAN LABEL POOCCIO
- DREAMING OF: A PLACE IN THE SUN
- BEAUTIFUL HAND MADE LEATHER GOODS
- A FOOD STYLIST’S HOME IN TORONTO, CANADA
- A STUNNING BEACH SIDE HOME IN BRAZIL
- A WOODEN HOLIDAY HOME IN THE NORTH OF HOLLAND
- NEW FERM LIVING SPRING/SUMMER 2015 COLLECTION
- A COZY WINTER CABIN IN NORWAY
- A SMALL BUT BRIGHT APARTMENT IN GOTEBORG, SWEDEN
- A MODERN FINCA STYLE VILLA ON IBIZA