One of the finest restaurants in Amsterdam is ‘De Kas’. De Kas is a large restaurant and nursery, located in a former greenhouse on the outskirts of Amsterdam. Their menu is about simplicity and flavor, using only the best organic ingredients. The restaurant grows most of their own vegetables and herbs in their organic garden, which is in Ilpendam (a small village north of Amsterdam not far from where I live). Dutch designer Piet Boon is responsible for the interior of the restaurant.
Chef and owner Gert Jan Hagememan: “A kitchen surrounded by fertile soil where vegetables and herbs thrive … Where daylight shines in from all sides and where the chefs are free to express their creativity daily using the best the season has to offer. It seems an obvious concept, but I spent twenty years surrounded by white tiles under fluorescent lighting before I came up with it.”
If you are in Amsterdam and you like fine food then De Kas is definitely worth checking out!
(images from De Kas)
ABOUTThe Style Files is Danielle de Lange’s daily weblog about design and (life) style. More>>
- TOUR AROUND MY HOME: THE GARDEN
- A RENOVATED BARN HOUSE IN MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
- NEWS FROM THE BLOGGING WORLD
- AN ARTIST’S HOME ON THE COSTA BRAVA IN SPAIN
- THOUGHT FOR THE WEEKEND
- FRIDAY’S FASHION FILES: DICKER BOOTS BY ISABEL MARANT
- A STUNNING BEACHFRONT HOME IN SYDNEY
- A DANISH FAMILY LIVING IN MANHATTAN
- THE TRAVEL FILES: A GREEK ISLAND HOME
- A LADDER AS BEDSIDE TABLE