Today, April 30, is the national holiday in The Netherlands called Koninginnedag (Queen’s Day). The Dutch have been celebrating Queen’s Day on April 30 since 1949, when the new Queen Juliana ascended the throne (30 April is Juliana’s birthday). When the current Queen Beatrix succeeded Juliana in 1980, she chose to keep Queen’s Day on April 30. Queen’s day is the most celebrated holiday here in Holland. Amsterdam festivities in particular rival those of Mardi Gras in New Orleans or New Year’s Eve in New York City. Don’t miss a visit to Amsterdam when you are around on 30 April, it’s a big (orange) party!
ABOUTThe Style Files is Danielle de Lange’s daily weblog about design and (life) style. More>>
- 10 CHRISTMAS TABLE DECORATION IDEAS
- A LOVELY DUTCH HOME WITH TOUCHES OF RED
- WOODEN TOYS GIFT GUIDE
- A SCANDINAVIAN HOME IN CHRISTMAS MOOD
- A HOME IN AN OLD CHURCH IN THE NETHERLANDS
- A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY HOME IN THE SOUTH OF ITALY
- 10 BEAUTIFUL & UNIQUE DIY GIFTS
- 20% CYBER MONDAY DISCOUNT AT EMERSON FRY
- WEEKEND ESCAPE: A STUNNING HOME ON PANTELLERIA ISLAND
- IT’S BLACK FRIDAY!