Today, April 30, is the national holiday in The Netherlands called Koninginnedag (Queen’s Day). The Dutch have been celebrating Queen’s Day on April 30 since 1949, when the new Queen Juliana ascended the throne (30 April is Juliana’s birthday). When the current Queen Beatrix succeeded Juliana in 1980, she chose to keep Queen’s Day on April 30. Queen’s day is the most celebrated holiday here in Holland. Amsterdam festivities in particular rival those of Mardi Gras in New Orleans or New Year’s Eve in New York City. Don’t miss a visit to Amsterdam when you are around on 30 April, it’s a big (orange) party!
ABOUTThe Style Files is Danielle de Lange’s daily weblog about design and (life) style. More>>
SPONSORSINTERESTED IN ADVERTISING?
- A SCANDINAVIAN APARTMENT WITH A VINTAGE TOUCH
- A STYLISH VACATION RENTAL IN MONTAUK, USA
- 20% OFF ANTHROPOLGIE HOME DECOR ITEMS
- 20% OFF HOME ITEMS AT ANTHROPOLOGIE THIS WEEKEND
- TINY PAPER HOUSES BY JURIANNE MATTER
- PRETTY IN WARM & COMFORTABLE CASHMERE
- A FABULOUS COUNTRY HOUSE IN OJAI, CALIFORNIA
- MAGICAL SEA CREATURE LAMPSHADES BY VASILI LIGHTS
- AN AUSTRALIAN GUEST HOUSE IN A COASTAL FARMHOUSE
- BEAUTIFUL HANDCRAFTED PENDANT LIGHTS