Today, April 30, is the national holiday in The Netherlands called Koninginnedag (Queen’s Day). The Dutch have been celebrating Queen’s Day on April 30 since 1949, when the new Queen Juliana ascended the throne (30 April is Juliana’s birthday). When the current Queen Beatrix succeeded Juliana in 1980, she chose to keep Queen’s Day on April 30. Queen’s day is the most celebrated holiday here in Holland. Amsterdam festivities in particular rival those of Mardi Gras in New Orleans or New Year’s Eve in New York City. Don’t miss a visit to Amsterdam when you are around on 30 April, it’s a big (orange) party!
ABOUTThe Style Files is Danielle de Lange’s daily weblog about design and (life) style. More>>
SPONSORSINTERESTED IN ADVERTISING?
- DIY & CRAFTS: PINEAPPLE PILLOW PATTERN
- DIY & CRAFTS: HAND MADE MAXI BAG
- THE TRAVEL FILES: ACE HOTEL IN DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES
- TREND: INTERIORS WITH VINTAGE BOTANICAL PRINTS
- A SMALL SWEDISH APARTMENT WITH A FEMININE TOUCH
- HUNKYDORY BLUE SPRING/SUMMER COLLECTION
- THE TRAVEL FILES: A STYLISH HOLIDAY VILLA IN ITALY
- TRADITIONAL WOOD-FIRED BAKERIES IN STOCKHOLM
- A BRIGHT & HAPPY CALIFORNIAN HOME
- A SUCCESFUL RENOVATION OF THREE WORKER S COTTAGES