Here are some photos that I took in Istanbul. The images above and below were shot in Balat. This area used to be the first Jewish neighborhood of Istanbul established long before the Jews expelled from Spain were allowed by the Ottomans to settle in this area of the city. Balat has been lately abandoned by its once prosperous population. The district fell in disrepair and is now mostly inhabited by working class migrants from the Black Sea region.
The photos were shot on a rainy day, which strengthen the area’s atmosphere that I was trying to capture.
The images above and below show the famous Sultan Ahmed Mosque.
This historical mosque is also known and referred to as the Blue Mosque for the blue tiles adorning the walls of its interior.
When you are in Istanbul you should definitely visit the Spice Bazaar (also known as the Egyptian Bazaar).This is one of the oldest bazaars in the city. The colors and smells are amazing!
The Grand Bazaar is one of the largest covered markets in the world with more than 58 streets and 4,000 shops. It is well known for its jewelry, pottery, spice, and carpet shops. Many of the stalls in the bazaar are grouped by type of goods, with special areas for leather coats, gold jewelry and the like. It is worth visiting this bazaar (great to buy souvenirs) but most stalls sell the same products and you probably won’t find any special and unique items.
ABOUTThe Style Files is Danielle de Lange’s daily weblog about design and (life) style. More>>
- A STUNNING WOODEN HOUSE WITH SEA VIEW IN FRANCE
- LAVENDER EARL GREAY BLACKBERRY ICE CREAM FLOAT
- CREATE A SUMMER VIBE WITH A OUTDOOR HANGING CHAIR
- A CALIFORNIAN HOME WITH A MEDITERRANEAN VIBE
- PRETTY SUMMER DRESSES FOR A PRETTY SUMMER DAY
- SHOPPING FOR HINTS OF PINK
- A TOUCH OF GLAMOUR IN A TRADITIONAL FINCA ON IBIZA
- HUNTING FOR GEORGE CELEBRATES REAL HOMES
- A SUMMER HOME ON THE GREEK ISLAND OF ANTI PAROS
- A BEAUTIFUL HOLIDAY VILLA FOR RENT ON MALLORCA, SPAIN